Pack it up, Pack it in is our 2019-20 national campaign. This campaign was selected by our membership in June 2019, after consulting with over 10,200 young people. It will run from September 2019 until October 2020.
Pack it up, Pack it in concentrates on reducing pollution levels which contribute to climate change. We will do this by focusing on reducing single-use packaging and waste, and improving recycling in Scotland.
The overarching aim of this campaign is:
‘To empower young people to speak out and take action to reduce pollution levels in Scotland.’
We will do this by:
- Identifying young people’s views on single-use packaging, waste, and recycling in Scotland.
- Making recommendations and calling for the changes young people want to see in relation to single-use packaging, waste and recycling in Scotland.
- Taking action to reduce the single-use packaging and waste, and to improve recycling in Scotland.
Find out young people’s views and recommendations in our Pack it up, Pack it in report:Pack it up, Pack it in Consultation Report PDF
In December 2019, we responded to the Scottish Government’s consultation on proposals for developing a circular economy. This consultation focuses on reducing waste, encouraging reuse, and improving recycling. Read it here.
How can you get involved?
Interested in becoming an official campaign action day partner? Please contact Rosy at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more!
Follow us at @OfficialSYP and use #SYPReducePollution to find out what MSYPs are up to.
Pack it up, Pack it in Action Day: Friday 5th June 2020 – World Environment Day
Our next Pack it up, Pack it in action day will take place on Friday 5th June, which is World Environment Day. World Environment Day is the United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment, and you can find out more here and here.
This month’s action day will focus on reducing our own waste and packaging use, and will take place in partnership with Scotland’s #IWill Ambassadors.
The Campaign Delivery Group and #IWill Ambassadors have come up with four actions you can take on World Environment Day to try to reduce your own waste and packaging use:
- Do a household litter audit and keep a tally of everything you throw away or recycle, then identify one way you are going to reduce your waste for the rest of the month. You can use the record sheet below to help you.
- Make a recycling bin for your bedroom.
- Help to reduce your environmental impact during the COVID-19 pandemic by making your own reusable masks.
- Join our virtual game of ‘Environment Tag’.
Please remember to share your actions on social media using #SYPReducePollution to let us know what you’ve been up to and to encourage other young people to join in!We have also created this Partners Pack for organisations who would like to help promote the Action Day! PDF